Monday, October 29, 2007

taper, taper, taper...

That's were I am. Tapering(and trying to eat right!) The NYC marathon is in 6 days. I've probably trained better for this one than for any of my previous 6 marathons. I'm hoping number 7 will be lucky for me. Ran 8 yesterday and probably won't run much this week. Maybe a couple of 2 or 3 milers. My last 20 miler was a week ago and the weekend before that I actually ran 33 miles. 20 on Saturday and then a Half marathon on Sunday. I helped pace Madia and Tracy to PR's. The 8 miler yesterday started out tough. It was very windy and then around mile 3 I felt out of fuel. But I was able to run strong after that and ended up doing it in 1:06. That's averaging in the low 8's. Maybe 8:15. I needed to break in my new shoes. So they'll have at least 12 or 13 miles on them by next Sunday morning. These are the 4th pair of Asics Cumulus I've had in a row. I loved the Cumulus 7, best shoe ever. Had a couple pair of those. Then Cumulus 8, which I ran to a PR at the shamrock marathon last March. They were ok but not as good as the 7's. And now Cumulus 9, size 11 4E. They felt great yesterday. Along with the short runs this week I also plan to swim at least 3 times. Good low impact cross training with an eye towards Eagleman, next June.

I feel ready for NYC. Only things left are to think about what to pack and to work out some logistics about how to get everybody there. The Fundraising has gone along ok, I have some very generous donors but I'm not quite where I'd hoped. Doesn't really matter though. I feel blessed to be able to help somebody while also getting a chance to run the NYC marathon. I think this is really just showing me that I can do much more to help others than I've been doing. That's one good take away from this whole experience.

This is the word for the week(I love this word, from time to time I see it and it just sort of lingers with me for a few days):

en·tel·e·chy
n. pl. en·tel·e·chies

1. In the philosophy of Aristotle, the condition of a thing whose essence is fully realized; actuality.
2. In some philosophical systems, a vital force that directs an organism toward self-fulfillment.

New word: Run-entelechy...

No comments: