Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Strategy for the RnR Half

Pretty much the same strategy I always have. Go out conservatively and speed up depending on how I feel. I'd love to be under 1:50:00 this time but the heat makes that tough. There will be pacers for people looking to finish at various times. there's one for 1:45:00 and 1:52:00. The idea is to just stay near them and you'll finish in that time. I'm thinking of trying to stay near the 1:45:00 pacer and just hang as long as I can. Just make sure I stay ahead of the 1:52:00 group.

The question keeps coming up, why I do this. Meaning not just the half but the marathon and the triathlons. I really can't answer this question. It has to do with some of the following:

1) It allows me to challenge myself. Something I don't get in other aspects of my life.
2) I enjoy the discipline. Even though I hate schedules or being bound to exact times.
3) Stress relief.
4) Keeps me fit, in shape and feeling good.
5) Gives me a sense of personal accomplishment. Hard to get in other aspects of my life. Somehow this is related to 1.

Friend of mine(M) found this and said it describes me. Might not be true but I claim it:

"Some people imagine that I'm a bohemian mystic who lives outside the system and disdains conventional wisdom. That's half-true. I'm also a disciplined artist with a fondness for analytical thinking and a commitment to self mastery." -Rob Bresny

We had a great ocean swim last night. Heavy surf and we were just rolling along like it was nothing. Loved it! And there were some cool people out there too.

No comments: